Flossing isn’t usually something that kids think of as “fun.” Flossing is important, but remembering to floss can be hard. Making flossing fun can help your child to develop good habits to last a lifetime. Here are some tips for how to make flossing something your child looks forward to doing.
Let’s Get Started
Before we talk about making flossing fun, let’s talk about why flossing is important. Flossing is important because studies show that brushing alone only reaches around 60% of the surface area of teeth. That leaves almost 40% virtually untouched and prone to plaque, tartar build-up, and cavities!
Dentists recommend that flossing start as soon as your child’s teeth fit closely together, typically between the ages of 2 and 6. Of course, flossing isn’t possible for young children to do on their own, so you’ll need to floss their teeth for them until they are old enough to be able to floss their own teeth effectively and safely.
Fun Floss Picks
As your child matures, it can be helpful to encourage them to begin to master the skills needed to floss their teeth on their own by offering them floss picks specifically made for kids. Floss picks for kids are designed with bright colors and come in the shape of fun characters to help make the activity of flossing something your kids look forward to each day. These should only be used with adult supervision, of course, but they can make flossing a lot easier for new flossers.
Flavored Fluoride Floss
Flavored floss is another great option for making flossing fun. Gone are the days of boring flavorless floss. Both traditional floss and floss picks can be found in a wide variety of flavors that kids enjoy like fruit punch and bubble gum. Look for flavored floss with added fluoride to help provide even more protection against cavities for your child’s teeth.
Talk to Your Child’s Dentist
Each child matures at their own unique pace, so it’s best to talk to your child’s dentist to find out when it’s the right time to start flossing their teeth as well as when to progress to teaching them to floss on their own. Their dentist will be happy to answer any questions you or your child have to ensure you both feel supported in giving their smile the care it deserves.
Call our Sylvania Dental Office to make an appointment with a dentist who may be able to help you find out more about this topic, and improve your oral health.